Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Count your many blessings!


I don't know what the deal is lately but some nasty bug has been going around and unfortunately it found me and made a nice little home for almost 2 weeks!!! I am just finally feeling better after 2 weeks full of a cough, running nose, massive migrane, throwing up, loss of appetite, 2 trips to the hospital, not getting out of bed (literally) and a whole lot more. The hospital visits consisted of a negative flu test, a ct-scan, 2 IV's, steriods, heavy pain meds (yahoo), and a spinal tab. They checked me for the flu and when that was ruled out, they thought I might have menigitis, which brought on the spinal tap (which is equivalent to another epidural - lovely). The good news is, I don't have menigitis and I have a plethora of pain meds...the bad news is I am going to have a hefty medical bill and all they could call it was a severe sinus infection! A SINUS INFECTION, are you kidding me? If that was a sinus infection, I hope to NEVER have one of those again. I don't wish that pain and heartache on even my worst enemy. It was miserable!

Anyway, on a positive note... I know that there is a reason for everything that happens in life, whether good or bad, and I guess my lesson with this one is one of GRATITUDE! I have never been so excited to take a shower without feeling like my head was going to explode, changing a diaper, cleaning the house, driving a car, paying bills, and the list goes on and on. I am very grateful for my good health (normally) and the ability I have to be able to accomplish so much in one day.

I think another lesson I was meant to learn from this whole experience is to allow people to serve. As most of you know, I hate asking favors of people and feeling like I am burden. This past two weeks I had to suck up my pride and ask for help which was not an easy task for me. I couldn't even take care of myself, let alone play mom, wife and professor. I am so grateful for Glen Allen and the big help that he was... he really stepped up to the plate and it definitely didn't go unnoticed. I am also very grateful for my mom and all her help with the boys! She also took it upon herself to call my Relief Society to ask for meals (because I was again, too prideful)!

Anyway, now that I have written a novel... I am glad to be feeling better and I am glad I was able to learn the lessons this experience taught me! Lesson learned!! :)

4 comments:

Malinda said...

I am sorry to hear that you have been feeling nasty!! Your should have called me and the boys could have come over and played or something. Next time you better call and let me help!! That is what family is for!!

Melissa said...

You poor girl! But I know EXACTLY how you feel! I went through that same thing about 2 years ago, and went to the ER 2x because they thought I had spinal meningitis. A spinal tap is horrible - does your lower back still ache? Mine does!! They say some people never get over that. And the CT scan... that was a nightmare. The only thing good about the whole situation was the IV morphine... ;) Oh you poor girl. And worse yet, be prepared for the med. bills. Hopefully your insurance is better than mine was, because I still had to pay almost $2000 out of pocket! Hang in there.

Rich Angie said...

So sorry you were sick, that's terrible! Glad you're on the mend and Glen was a good boy ;)

Hiatt Family said...

I can't believe that you know Ashley from Tucson. That is really funny. She is in my ward and I am friends with her. I will tell her hi for you!