Tuesday, February 3, 2009

London's Run

I did it! I survived the 10K run this past weekend and I felt like I did GREAT! As I mentioned in a previous post the 10K run was called London's Run (http://www.londonsrun.org/) which benefits those who suffer with or have already lost their battle with cancer. In 2006 this event began to support the enormous medical bills for the Solomon family who lost their adorable daughter London at the age of 6. This event has continued each year to support another family who is loosing/or has lost a family member to cancer. This year the proceeds went to the Merkley family who lost their 18 year son to cancer in November. The race was incredible! They began the morning with a few comments from London's mother and Lorin Merkley's father, followed by a prayer and then the races started. The feeling was wonderful... everyone was happy, there was excitement in the air and everyone knew that what we were doing was for a good cause. The race itself went really well. I felt good, my heels were cooperating and I felt like I could have run all day. One thing that I was not expecting throughout the race was the emotions I felt. About every 1/4 of a mile there was a poster along the side of the trail with a picture of one of the cancer patients (London, Lorin, etc.) with encouraging words like, "You can do it! Don't give up! Hang in there! You're doing great!" etc. It was heartbreaking. It was hard enough to keep my breathing down while running but throwing in the need to fight back the tears every 1/4 mile was really tough. It almost got to the point where I couldn't even look at them anymore. As hard as it was to see the pictures, they were definitely helpful. As I saw each one, I would think to myself... if they can go through that, I can survive this 6 mile run... or... I know they are cheering for me right now on the other side. I'm not kidding, I am tearing up right now as I type. It was such a wonderful feeling and between the fresh air, the beautiful scenery, the constant picture reminders, it gave me time to think about what is important in life. I really struggle with that. As my husband can attest to, I am just a huge ball of stress 99.9% of the time, worrying about everything and anything I can whether I have control over it or not. Moments like the run really help me stop and think about what is important in life. Although I continue to struggle with that on a hourly basis (don't ask me about today) I need moments like that every once in a while to give me a huge reality check. I am so glad I was able to run for such a great cause. Like I said, I felt GREAT and I was proud of myself and the ability I had to finish the race as well as I did. I am also thankful that my family came to support me! Of course my husband and my boys were there and my parents came out to fight the cold in the morning before I took off and waited there until I finished. It was so comforting to hear my friends and family members cheering for me as I neared the finish line even though I wasn't able to immediately spot them in the crowd of people. I can't help but relate it to what it's going to be like when it's our turn to go and our friends and family members on the other side are waiting and cheering for us. Wow... I didn't mean to get all spiritual and sappy in this post but it really was an unforgettable day! Thanks for the support and words of encouragement! Who's joining me for next year?!?!

Nearing the finish line!

Right after the race!

My friend and training partner, Amanda Strebeck.

Amanda and Preston Strebeck and me!


12 comments:

The Ray Family said...

WAY TO GO HEATHER!! I was thinking about you and wondering when your run was!! So proud of you...You can do anything!! And yes you do stress WAY to much...relax Girl...:}

David & Annette Bean said...

I am SOOOOOO proud of you, you are amazing. I have always known that you accomplish ANYTHING once you ahve put your mind to it. Your dad and I are so proud of you and love you and your family very much. LOVE Mom

David & Annette Bean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David & Annette Bean said...

I am SOOOOOO proud of you, you are amazing. I have always known that you accomplish ANYTHING once you ahve put your mind to it. Your dad and I are so proud of you and love you and your family very much. LOVE Mom

Kristal said...

Congrats! So what's next? And how/when do you train, you're so busy? I need to get off my butt, too.

Natalie said...

Good Job Heather!! That is just so awesome! What an accomplishment! Can't wait to hear what you do next! :)

Kasey said...

I am so proud of you guys! I totally wish I would have gotten my butt in gear to do it. I love the one that says "This is easy! Cancer is hard!" It really puts things in perspective for sure! Next year for sure! Way to go hottie!

The Wilkes said...

Good for you! Any runs planned in the future?

The Nielsons said...

Wow Heather that is so awesome. I am so proufd of you. I would definatly be interested in doing it next year. Something like that is what I would enjoy putting my money and effort into. Let me know if you find anything else like that. You are and inspiration to me. Thanks

ERIN said...

you look great! getting so thin!!!!
it's very inspiring what you've done as far as running---hope you keep it up!
miss you!
erin sivert

Leann said...

GREAT JOB!

Anonymous said...

SO proud of you guys!