Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Idaho... Idaho!

As I mentioned previously, we just got back from Idaho about a week ago and I hadn't downloaded my pictures... until NOW! Yeah! All of my dad's family lives in Idaho and they have a Smart reunion (my grandma's side) every 2 years in the most beautiful place located about 2 1/2 hours north of Boise, called McCall. It's a beautiful (but cold) lake surrounded by pine trees and gigantic houses. We haven't had the chance to make it for several years (I have been married for almost 7 years and Glen Allen has never been to Idaho to visit my family - that's how long it's been). But fortunately, we were able to make this year and I am so glad we did. It was wonderful to see family, spend time with everyone and get out of the terrible AZ heat and up into beautiful Idaho. The first day there we stayed in Nampa (which is just outside of Boise) because the reunion didn't start until the next day. While in Nampa, we drove around to let the boys experience what real farms are like.

We stopped by a Buffalo Ranch....















We attempted to pick peaches but there were none left on the trees so we only got to move them from the farm bucket into our own bucket to take home....















Went to a park and actually enjoyed the toys because they were not scorching hot like the ones in AZ in the summer!

















We visited another farm to get other produce (and ride the wood train)....














We picked corn which was delicious. I think we ate it for just about every meal while we were in Idaho for the week.... ( Jaxon wasn't too happy because he was hungry and tired by this point - can you tell?)



































Found a ladybug in the process of picking corn...

















See what I mean??? He was so tired for a hard days work of farming, that he crashed in the car the minute we were done picking corn.















We blew bubbles in grandma's back yard...

































We attempted to got tubing down the FREEZING Boise river only to find out that they practically wanted your first born child and all that you possessed in order to rent a stupid tube... so we (well some of us did, the smarter of the bunch stayed out of the limb numbing water) just waded in the river instead....


































Then it was to Aunt Linda's for dinner! Linda and Ken spend all summer in Alaska fishing and had brought back hundreds of pounds of fish. Glen Allen was in heaven (the boys and I ate pizza)!

The next morning we got ready to head up to McCall and found out it was raining... it poured the ENTIRE drive up... and for the next 2 days. Talk about depressing! I was so excited to get out of the heat to enjoy the normal beautiful 70 degree McCall weather, but instead we experienced 30's and 40's with minimal winter clothes (we didn't plan for cold and rain). Although we still managed to have fun with the crappy weather! The reunion was located at the Ponderosa Campground there in McCall. Some family stayed in condo's while others stayed at the campground. Luckily we went the condo route, thanks to grandma and grandpa Bean. It worked out great. It was only about a mile away from the campground so we spent most of the days with family at the campground and then came back to the condo for naps and bed.

Of course you can't go to McCall (with me) unless you make the three traditional food stops... famous to McCall.... My Father's Place, Ice Cream Alley and The Pancake House!!

The very first day we got there... first stop of the day was a restaurant called My Father's Place. I forgot my camera when we went in to eat because I was so excited, but they are known for their burgers and shakes! YUM!

Then we also made sure to visit Ice Cream Alley two nights in a row at about 10 pm! So good, but not good on caloric intake (but who cares when you are on vacation right???)

Then last but not least was the GIGANTIC cinnamon rolls at the Pancake House. Glen Allen and my brother Shawn picked them up and brought them back to the condo for pure blissful indulgence! They are covered in a thick layer of butter and frosting... to die for!














Enough about the food....
Because of the crappy weather most the time, we didn't really get to do much, which was fine because it was nice to just catch up with family. I hadn't seen some of my cousins (and their kids) for over 10 years or so and if half of them or their children were to have ever passed me on the street, I wouldn't have even known we were related. It was great to get reacquainted.

The last day we were there, grandma and grandpa thought it would be fun to rent jet skis for the day! The boys were not too fond of them at first but Jaxon finally warmed up to them and Glen David was more content just jumping off the dock and swimming around.
Here are the boys walking back to camp in their wet suits that obviously don't fit!














When the weather somewhat cleared up we took a drive up to the look out spot which was beautiful! It overlooks the lake....














On the drive home we stopped by the Snake river for a little lunch break while being completely entertained by the white water rafters making their way down the river.
Sunday night (I know a little sac-religious) we took advantage of the "legal in Idaho" fireworks and then settled into bed to catch an early flight out in the morning to come back home, which back fired on us. My aunt works for the airlines so we flew standby and after getting everyone up at 4:30 to try to make the 7:00 flight home, none of us made it on the flight because it was too full. So we headed back to grandma's for a morning nap and then tried again for the 2:00 flight. Everyone made it except for my dad, who ended up fliying home the next morning! Oh the joys of standby!
I would have loved to take a lot more pictures but my battery was dying and I forgot the charger. :(
Anyway, we had a blast... it was fun to get away, see family and be reminded again about how much I would LOVE to live in Idaho... if I could ever convince my husband!

2 comments:

Hulse Family said...

Good for you Heather! Family vacations are a must. The cinnamon rolls look like they are to die for. I miss you. Maybe we can get together when we come to visit AZ in October. See ya later. Melody

Laurel said...

I would definitely be in favor of you moving to Idaho :) This summer has been unusually cool in Montana, too. Those freezing cold camping trips are something else, huh? Your boys are too cute!