Friday, June 20, 2008

My little FISH!

The battle continues but looks promising!! Over a year ago I put Glen in year round indoor swimming lessons. My mother-in-law had just recently put in a pool so she insisted that all the grandkids learned how to swim at her expense (which was very nice of her). The lessons started off really good but slowly and surely it was becoming a real hassle and was not productive. The lessons were once a week for 30 minutes and the place was not close. So between gas, miles, scheduling the lessons between my school hours and nap time, Glen's declining interest, increased weekly fights to listen to the instructor, and the January week long Hawaii trip I had planned, I decided to take a break for the rest of the winter months. Instead of taking a month or two off, it ened up being 6 months because I procrastinated signing him up again. As soon as the pool season started again this year I realized that my efforts had been useless because Glen regressed a ton from where he was when we took a "break" from the lessons. He didn't even want to get near the water, let alone practice all the swimming and floating techniques he had learned. My mom told me about a lady in her ward who has been teacgin swimming lessons for over 16 years and guarantees after 8 lessons (2 weeks), she can throw the kids in the middle of the pool and they will be able to swim to the side all by themselves (plus it is right down the street from my moms house). SIGN ME UP! So this week was the first week of the lessons and the results are amazing! He can jump off the side and swim the whole length of the pool by himself and he is even brave enough to jump off the diving board and swim to the side all by himself. He loves it! After the 1st day he said, " I don't like inside swimming lessons, only outside swimming lessons with grandma's friend Ms. Shelly". I am so glad we found something that works! The only crappy thing is it's in the middle of the hottest part of the day and I have to sit outside and watch! It's stinkin' HOT!


Although Jaxon doesn't get to swim, he is entertained by their pet turtle "Scooter". He was a little hesitant at first but each day he will gets closer and closer!

0 comments: