Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Worst NIGHTMARE!

So Sunday was the first day of Sunbeams for Glen David (I know, he is huge and looks like he is 5 but he missed the cut off by a month so he just started Sunbeams this year). Well, on Saturday they had a "Meet Your Teacher" Primary activity day and Glen was in heaven. He loved it and was so excited for Primary. He couldn't stop talking about how he gets to go with the big kids now (which caused some confusion because he thought he was older and was wondering why we didn't have a birthday party yet). I finally explained to him that it's not his birthday yet but that after Christmas you move up to the next class at church and now he is able to be in with the big kids in sharing time.

Well, everything went well on Sunday (so I thought). On the drive home he was excited to show us what he had made in class. I started asking him questions like, "Did you have fun in Primary today?" his response was "Yeah!" Then I asked, "Do you like your new teacher?" And to my horror his response was, "No, I liked my other teacher better, my new teacher is fat!" My jaw just about dropped to the floor and I looked over at my husband to see if I had heard Glen right. Sure enough... he had said exactly what I thought I heard. After trying to regain my patience, I tried to calmly explain that we don't talk about things like that, we don't call people fat because it makes them sad. I don't know that he really understood, he just knew Glen Allen and I were not happy with his choice of words.

A little while after the shocking comment, we got an invitation to dinner at his new teachers house. They were having several families over for dinner and wanted us to come. So later on that evening, we went over to their house and another lady from the ward (not his teacher) said, "Did you hear what Glen said in class today?" I thought she was going to tell me something cute or funny he said because I didn't even think about the fact that he would have made that comment in the actual class to his teachers face! Well sure enough, this lady continues to tell me how Glen David told his new teacher that he liked his old teacher better because, "you are fat". At that moment I just wanted to curl up in a ball and hide! I was so embarrassed and especially to hear it from some other lady in the ward... which meant my son was the talk of the day!

I immediately took Glen David over to apologize to his teacher. She just chuckled and asked how I had found out about it. I guess she had told her whole family about it (her husband and 5 kids) and threatened them not to say a word to us when we came over for dinner because she didn't want Glen to get in trouble and not want to come back to her class again. I continued to apologize up and down and finally was just at a loss for words. She was nice about it and just laughed and assured me that she has heard worse from her lovely little Sunbeams!

I have always heard of the embarrassing stories of kids saying the darnest things but I hadn't really experienced it yet. I guess Sunday it was my turn! I'm done with that "first", as a mom, and will gladly let someone else experience it now... any takers!?!?

13 comments:

Amanda said...

I cannot stop laughing! I'm sure it will happen to me soon!

Kasey said...

OMG! That is the worst thing ever. At Wal-Mart Todd plugged his nose and said, "That lady stinks!" Lovely, just lovely!

Hiatt Family said...

Oh gosh, I can't wait! Ha ha. I would have no idea what to say! Hopefully this is the only time he'll say something like this! I think all kids go through that stage though, right?

Nikki Nielson said...

That is so funny. I am sure you were so upset by it but now I am sure that it is funny to you too! At least she was really nice about it and laughed, it could have been totally worse. Thanks for sharing!

the Painters said...

Oh Heather it has happened to us too. A HUGE man walked into the Doc's office once and Kaden said soooo loud, "Mom, that guy is sooooooooo fat." It was awful.

Kristal said...

Sooo sorry, that IS embarassing. But it does happen to all of us so don't worry ;)

The Slider Family said...

Hey Heather! It was so good to hear from you. I miss you too. I love your blog. Your family is adorable and you look great! It looks like you have been having lots of fun.

The Ray Family said...

Oh boy! I can just see your face right now hearing him say it! Kids will be kids! Dont worry to much on it. It sounds like she took humor in it. Still not good to say but ALL of us go through something similar.I have a good one but I will tell ya later! ;) And yes I agree, lets get together SOON! Your turn to plan something :)

The Ray Family said...

BTW- I love all your new family pictures!! You and your little family are so stinkin cute!!!

Reid and Brittney said...

haha...oh my gosh!!! What a crazy kid...I can't believe he said that to his teacher!!! Oh well...something to laugh about later I suppose. I'm sure it will happen to me soon.

The Nielsons said...

Good old Glen David ... That is a classic. It won't be the last time something like this happens to you but is sure embarrassing when its the first. You handled it great though. Keep up the good work.

Chris and Val said...

So funny! Jacob told his teacher on his first day of sunbeams "I hate Jesus. I want to go home." Needless to say we are ramping up FHE at home!

Melissa said...

oh how awful! i would have just died.